Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ohhh Ike...


So, there is a 250 mile diameter hurricane ready to bear down on Houston. As some of you know, i was there not too long ago helping my best friend move into his new home in Sugar Land. Sugar Land is South West of Houston. In a phone call to him, he told me that he has viewed 9 predicted routes of where this storm is headed and there was only 1 that did not include it going his way. Part of our phone call:
Me: "hey man, you guys leaving the city?"
Brian: "nope"
Me: "you going to board up your windows?"
Brian: "nope"
Me: "you guys have enough supplies?"
Brian: "we have some tuna, big jar of peanut butter, loaf a bread some other things and a bunch of water. we are going to fill up the bath tubs with water, we filled a bunch of tupperware with water to make ice, we will be fine."
Something you have to understand about my best friend, we are very similar. Very laid back, pretty much an open book and not one to really plan ahead for things. His wife is very much his opposite and she is about in tears from this whole thing. Brian's rationale, this house has been here since 1982, I am sure it will be here after this storm. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my great grandmothers home in Houma, LA was just ripped in 3 pieces by Gustav and it has been there since the 1800's.

Anyways, the family in Houma was given the optional order of evacuation with this hurricane, mandatory for Gustav, nothing major happened and it took them a week to get back to their homes. So, pretty sure they are not leaving this time and I am sure this is the storm that will bring the water. I will be sure to pray for them crazy coonasses! ha-ha.

I wasn't paying attention this morning on the morning walk with Blue (I hate mornings! I love my bed...), well, he found a cat in the bushes where he was about to pee. Never have I seen a cat so scared for his life, Blue gave him a little nudge with his snout and he was off! Blue started to give chase, but decided against it cominced to his morning routine of watering every bush he comes across (had this been a rabbit, Blue would have torn my arm off and it would have been breakfast). It would have been like that time, when we were out west and Blue caught that jackalope... the antlers didn't digest well...

4 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

I'm not fond of cats, but I can feel sorry for them on occasion. Cats in my neighborhood see my duo and freeze low-to-the-ground, quite certain that they can't reach the nearest tall tree before my dogs reach them. (Poor cats need to consider the potential safe haven under low-slung parked cars.) Anyway, if the cats aren't moving, my guys generally don't see them.

My first dog, Oreo, hated cats and started growling if she so much as smelled them. Once, on a walk with her and Sam, Sam and I spotted a cat that Oreo didn't see. Sam looked at the cat, looked at the placid Oreo, looked back at the cat, looked at Oreo, and finally gave one warning "Woof!" to draw Oreo's attention to the intruder.

I'm glad Blue was kind to the cat. It makes it easier to get on with the neighbors if your dog isn't eating their tabbies...

Addie said...

Ike really does look like a scary, hot mess. I'll be thinking of your friend as this thing unfolds.

Addie

Debbie (Emma's mom) said...

Scott,
It's Mon. ....how did your friends fare in Texas? I thought about them all weekend.
Debbie

Patti said...

How is your friend doing after the hurricane?