Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Let's paint a picture...


<--- not Blue - from ihasahotdog.com
I will start of with talk about what happened to my boy Blue this weekend. So, we had the ice cream social on Saturday and had a wonderful time! So, some guy saw the plethora of greyhounds and thought to himself, 'I am going to bring my dog over there and say hi.' He came out of the Red Bandanna a few stores down. So, Blue and a few of the other hounds said hello and they were done with it, I was done making sure the encounter went well, but still lent an eye that way. There was a smushed ice cream cone between the other dog and Blue, well the other dog (being a little white mutt, some pit/bull dog/boxer mix) decided it was his and let Blue know it. He went after Blue, Blue gave a growl and a snap back, but I was jerking him towards me as this occurred. I thought everything was fine, but noticed that there was a little gash in Blue's neck about the size of a nickel. Patti P. gave me some provisions to get him all doctored up for the night and Monday it was off to the vet for staples. He is now Franken-dog with 3 staples in his neck.
OK, so here is the picture I want to paint for you. The above is just me griping...
Blue and i go on 2 mile walks every day, so I didn't think having 3 staples in his neck would change his want to go on our walk, I would find out the contrary about a mile into our walk. So, we are going well and he is getting his trot on and we are at our usual pace. We get about a mile from the Jeep and it is time to turn around, well Blue wants to continue walking away from the Jeep, well this is not going to happen because we have reached the end of the trail. We did some circles, but nothing. I could not do what I usually do, just because he has the staples in his neck and do not want to rip the stitches. So, what do I do? I pick-up my 75 pound greyhound and start walking back to the Jeep, this is on Azalea Dr, a pretty busy street at 6:30 pm on a Monday, so you can imagine the looks I am getting. We do this for a little while, I set him down he walks a little, stops, and then looks up at me... repeat lifting of dog... he has never done this and after reading about the drugs he was on, I think I may have my answer. Eventually, some joggers came and this usually makes him walk. I carried him about a quarter of the way back, nice little workout for me. I was very upset with him, but I forgave him due to his being all stitched up.
How much do I love him? :)

9 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

Poor baby! (Both of you.)

Amazing how a little "oops" turns into torn skin, bloodshed, and staples. (My Sam has three or four staples in his leg. His come out Thursday.)

I hope Blue's staples are someplace he can't reach. Or that he's as good a patient as my Sam is being.

The Whitfields said...

Hey Scott,

Have a good trip, that sounds like fun!

I have a question, i cannot access my layout tab in Blogger, it has totally screwed up my blog. Do you know what would be causing this? I'm thinking about just deleting my blog & starting over!

Sarah

The Whitfields said...

Hey Scott! Okay, nevermind, I had to just re-create the blog entirely! It has bothered me all day, so I just re-created it.

Have a good trip! sorry to keep writing on here!

Sarah

christie said...

Poor You and Poor Blue. I've had to lift my 80 pound grey off of bleachers before because he was brave enough to climb up but got scared climbing down. Hope Blue heals quickly!!

Addie said...

Poor Blue! He's pretty lucky you can pick him up, though!

The Whitfields said...

Hey Scott,

Yeah, I was editing content in the HTML section because I was trying to revamp my layout & that's when I lost everything. So now, I'm not messing with any of it!

Poor Blue, I hope he is feeling better. I know he enjoyed being carried by you. That's so sweet, I wish I was able to pick Dixie up!

Have a good weekend!

Sarah

KF-in-Georgia said...

I hope Blue is behaving and leaving his staples alone. And I hope he's better about having them removed than my Sam was.

http://kf-in-georgia.blogspot.com/2008/08/sam-scares-someone-else.html

I'm feeling much more sorry for the vet tech than I am for Sam.

Kathy

Maria Peters said...

Those little white dogs....hmmmm....and our dogs thin, rippable skin. I woulda' love to see you carrying your boy! I had to carry June, 65 lbs. through petsmart b/c she refused the floors. It is a good workout!

The Whitfields said...

Scott you need to update your blog more often!