Monday, July 14, 2008

Snakes






Not sure what it is about my walks with the dog lately, but we sure do like finding snakes. We come across a few Eastern garter's, I let Blue chase them, they are harmless. Today, we came across this fellow, he is a king snake. Took me by surprise, he was all of 2.5 feet, but once I saw that it was a harmless snake, I let Blue get curious and sniff as the snake slithered away. About a month or so ago, we came across a Copperhead, which may be the one of the most venomous snakes GA has to offer, also one of its most uncommon. That being said, why wouldn't we come across this little guy, right?! He was about a foot long at best. I was walking with Blue off the leash (yes I had my hound off the leash) and I noticed an odd looking stick, well, we got a little closer and the 'stick' moved. I stopped and leaned forward a bit and noticed the triangular shaped head. This told me that I was looking at a poisonous snake. Well, I remembered I had my dog with me as he trotted past me. I yelled his name and was pretty frantic about it. Blue heard it in my voice, stopped immediately and bolted straight back to me. He never saw the snake thank goodness, all he would have needed to do is be curious about this guy too.
Pretty snake right?!

2 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

I'm glad Blue is well-behaved.

And I'm glad my guys and I walk down boring streets...

Patti said...

Yikes! I was just weeding my garden of some horrible, high weeds and kept freaking that I'd come across a snake. Not yet, thank God. Don't know what I'd do if I did!