Monday, November 10, 2008

The good the bad the happy the sad...

Let us go in order shall we, I know it has been a LOOOONG time since I posted something, but I have not really had time to sit down and put thoughts on computer screen...
The good:
I am here and alive! :) The dog is good and healthy, kinda... (see 'The Bad') I have developed a wonderful group of friends, the price of gas is going down, the nation was obviously ready for 'change' and the writer of Family Guy was just given a $100 million from FOX... have I mentioned I love this show?
The Bad:
Well, as some of you know, Blue and I went down to the lure coursing event about 2 weeks ago. Blue took 2nd in the singles run, he tied with Seka. Great outing for both dogs, seeing as how it was Blue's first entry and Seka's second (I believe). Well, the second day we ran both dogs to certify them in opens. Blue yelped around the first turn. As the lure continued around the course, Blue was not running at full speed, but still giving chase. I knew he was hurt, but I just kinda stood there, dumbfounded... Thankfully someone yelled to shut down the lure (I may have yelled, who knows). Ran out to him hoping for a torn pad or some small injury that wouldn't take too long to heal. Checked all the pads out and nothing. Getting him to walk was a chore and that is when I dreaded it was something like a muscle. As we walked on, his left shoulder started to swell. I am told it is his monkey muscle that was strained/torn. He has been more couch ridden than normal, but he is enjoying the cold compresses and massages. I find it hard to keep him from romping around the apartment in the morning as he usually does and he obviously has more energy now that he is not getting his 2 mile walks. Muscle is still pretty spongy, but I am calling the vet tomorrow, not sure how long it should take for this sort of injury to heal completely...
The happy:
Brought 3 beautiful hounds back in my Jeep from Perry, chariots brought back 7 in all. I had Candy Cane, Bonny and Jean Grey. I affectionately called my Jeep the stripper hauler because, well come on, how much more stripper sounding names can you get? ha-ha I tell you what, if Jean Grey (Gayla) is there too long, I may strongly consider snatching her up. Never has a hound made me laugh so hard. When someone new would walk up to the run, she would give out this roo that made her sound like either a blood hound or a beagle, it was hilarious. My Blue is pretty vocal, but he gets on my nerves sometimes, this kind of vocal was just stinking funny and cute!
The Sad:
Again, something else some of you know, I lost my grandfather the Thursday before Blue ran. We first found that he had lung cancer about 2 - 3 months ago. When they biopsied the lump, his lung collapsed and was in the hospital for a short time. At the beginning of October, then weekend of the 5K, he came down with pneumonia and went back into the hospital. I traveled down there not knowing how bad things were going to be. They drained the lung and he was allowed to go home. From the time he knew about the cancer, he did not want to go through the treatment. He had watched relatives and friends suffer through the treatments and did not want to be subjected to this. He went very peacefully the morning he passed. Mamaw (cajun for grandma) went to wake him that morning to give him his meds. He opened his eyes for a short time, then closed them again. She left him for a while. Once hopice got there to bathe him, he had passed. At the visitation, everyone wore white t-shirts and jeans, papaw's (cajun for grandpa) favorite outfit.
This sums up my October and some of November...

6 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Hope Blue is feeling better soon.

Jen

Debbie (Emma's mom) said...

A girlfriend for Blue?! Cool...wonder how he would react...

I'm so sorry to hear about your 'Papaw'; I lost my grandfather to lung cancer, too. I must say that yours was very brave to make that choice; I'm glad his transition was peaceful. He sounds like a great person!

Addie said...

Wow, you've been through a lot these last couple of months; I'm so sorry to hear about your Papaw.

I hope Blue gets to feeling better, and maybe a little lady friend would help his recovery. That Jean Grey was a doll, and was so sweet when we bathed her. I think she'd look great at the end of your leash!

Addie

Zan said...

Scott, I'm very sorry to hear of your papaw's passing. I know just how hard that is and it is evident from your post how much he meant to you.

Take care of that pup, and let us know what the vet says. Maybe a girlfriend would perk him up.;-)

Maria Peters said...

It was so good to see you on Sunday! That Jean Grey really seemed to love you...how do you describe that roo? It was way too funny!

Sorry to hear about your Granddad...I'm really glad you got to see him. I'm sure you made him very proud.

christie said...

Sorry about your Papaw. It's tough losing a grandparent.
Hope Blue is feeling better soon!